Wednesday, June 8, 2011

How I got to where I'm going.

So I have never blogged before and I'm a little nervous.  I don't really know what all to write or how to write it but I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually...

First of all, I want to explain the title of my blog.  It is the title of one of my favorite songs by Lady Antebellum ironically called "I was here".  If you have never heard it, then I suggest you go listen to it.  Here- I will even post a link for easy listening (if I can figure out how)
Hey I got it!

Second of all: Why I'm creating a blog.
-During the summer of 2010 I started thinking about how I wanted to study abroad.  I figured this is my one chance to go away for 6 weeks and not have to worry about school, a job, a family that I have to take care of, etc.  This would be the once chance in my life to pack up for 6 weeks and leave everything behind without a second glance.  When I first started thinking about going somewhere I originally thought about going to Ireland or Germany.  Ireland, because I have always seen pictures and heard stories about how beautiful it is and of course because they speak a language I actually understand.  Germany, because I wanted to know more about my heritage and the spend time getting to know where my family came from.  The more I thought about it however, the more I realized that these places were too "safe" for me.  This whole experience is about me going somewhere, by myself, completely out of my comfort zone- somewhere I don't know anything about, anyone there, hell- I don't even know how to say "hello" in Italian (ok that might be a very slight exaggeration).  So I picked Italy solely on the fact that I like Italian food (and the men aren't bad), and I've heard the culture is completely different than here in the United States.

I have gone through a lot of changes this past year and I wanted something to embrace those changes rather than set me back to where I was.  I have never really been an independent person.  I don't like doing things by myself, and I usually have someone right by my side.  I seriously can't even go jean shopping alone!  After this past year, I decided I wanted to change that.  I want to be comfortable alone and in my own skin.  I want to worry about making myself happy and not caring what other people think of that.  I want to do things for me and because of me.  So I'm going half way across the world by myself knowing no one that I will be spending six weeks with.

I am leaving the United States on June 25th and I will return on August 6th.  I have never been outside of the United States, nor have I ever traveled alone- so this will be quite the experience.  Do I have any idea where to go when I get there? Nope.  Do I know what to do, how to act, what to wear?  Not a damn clue.  But I'm gonna go over there with an open mind, and a new outlook on life and hope to have the best experience of my life.

Well here goes nothing...

No comments:

Post a Comment